Love them or loathe them, the school holidays are upon us. Whilst there will be times to rest and relax at home, parents are always after activities to keep the kids occupied. Here are ten summer holidays ideas in the Macedon Ranges and surrounds to try out.
1.Summer Heritage Train Rides, Daylesford: All aboard! Take a train ride through Daylesford Spa Country to the 140 year old Bullarto train station and its gorgeous green surrounds. Pack a picnic lunch and stop at the station at Passing Clouds Winery for a tipple and more stunning views. A great day out for the whole family. There are Sunday and Wednesday services. Click on the title for prices and train times.
2. Cinema Pop Up Castlemaine: Enjoy a family movie evening in the open air. The cinema pop up runs from 2 – 5 January and includes a licensed bar and candy bar. You can also bring your own picnic. Kids are free and adults only $5 if you book online. Click the title for times and the links to book.
3. Goldfields Library Holiday activities: Our local libraries are providing a wide variety of amazing activities for our kids again these holidays. Choose from Minecraft Lab, Robotics, Make Your Own Water Bottle Holder, Secret Summer Matinee movies and The Flying Bookworm Theatre Company. There will be something to please everyone! Click on the title for times and to book your spot.
4. Lavender Harvest Festival, Hepburn: On Sunday 12 January come and celebrate the Lavender Harvest Festival. There will be music, dance, stalls, farmhouse tours, food and even lavender icecream. There is a small entry fee and dogs are welcome on a leash. Click on the title for more information.
5. Summer Sunday Session at Hanging Rock Winery: This event is also on 12 January and offers live music, burgers, icecream, wildlife encounters and, of course, fine wines. Click on the title for times and more information.
6. Cartooning at Dromkeen: Get your artist on with a workshop run by Dromkeen’s resident cartoonist on Wednesday 15 January. There are three different sessions running on the day, starting from 9.30 am. The lessons are suitable from children of 4 years up to adults. Book one, two or all! Click on the title for more information and prices.
7. Sand Art Gallery: Dromkeen also hosts an amazing sand art gallery exhibition that the whole family will love. It reopens from 2 January. Take the tour and then finish up with a coffee and cake in the cafe at Dromkeen. Click on the title for times and prices.
8. Little Think Big: Kids from 2 years and up will love creating with all sorts of materials in this gorgeous space in Kyneton. Dress for mess and get ready for some awesome imaginative fun! Sessions run for one hour. Click on the title to book and view prices.
9. School’s Out Holiday Program: For Holiday childcare, incursions and excursion fun, check out this program. From laser tag and ten pin bowling to movies at the cinema, School’s Out has got you covered. Click on the title for further information and prices.
10. Hanging Rock Llama Treks: Want to try something a little different? Book in for a llama trek through some beautiful wilderness. There are a variety to choose from and there is a short education session before you get trekking. Click on the title for more information.
Don’t forget to check out our parks, markets and fresh air fun pages for more information on those. We also have a growing list of kid friendly cafes we have reviewed (but please check that they have reopened after the Christmas break to avoid disappointment).
Have we missed anything? Contact us with your event or school holiday activity and we will add it in.
One thought on “Ten Summer Holiday Ideas for the Macedon Ranges and Surrounds”